Reinaldo Alvarez Cabrera
Geoscanners AB
Sweden
http://www.geoscanners.com

bekic

Re: Papers on GPR penetration

Post by bekic »

Hi everyone,
I have to admit that I haven't read the paper thoroughly and that I 'm not highly competent on mathematics and physics but I will point out a few errors in the paper I noticed.
1. The paper was doing some tests with SE40 antennas (we own these) and for the calculation they used a center frequency of 35MHz. If you check Geoscanners AB pages for the antenna datasheets you'll see that the center frequency for these antennas is around 65MHz. I don't know if it makes a lot of difference for the calculation but I would say it does.
2. For some of the calculations with the GSSI 100MHz antenna the tests were conducted with 7 gain points with last two being >60dB. From my practical knowledge I know that any gain above 57-60dB is giving you "false" data - no usable data at all since you are crossing the noise/signal ratio and there is no way to use this for calculations or standard postprocessing no matter how hard you try or how expirienced you are.
On the other hand I have to admit that the author (Mr.Leucci) has given a lot of thought about testing and connecting the theory underlayer with the practical usage so it is a good starting point for further development of calculations.
Best regards,
bekic
"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you will see every problem as a nail."

JanDerek

Re: Papers on GPR penetration

Post by JanDerek »

bekic wrote: From my practical knowledge I know that any gain above 57-60dB is giving you "false" data - no usable data at all
bekic
oh yes! 100% right!
thanks,
jd